The Massachusetts cycling scene is brimming with action, and things are really opening up in May. May is national bike month, after all.
Here’s a quick rundown of some of the cycling action you may want to check out in May.
1. Bay State Bike Week. Tons of activities going on from May 11th to 17th. Commuter challenges. Breakfast specials. Police escorts for your morning commute. A special celebration in Boston hosted by the Mayor. You name it, bike week’s got it. Check out all the details at the event’s web site: www.baystatebikeweek.org.
2. The CRW Spring Century. A well-supported ride with three route options – half-century (50 miles), metric century (62 miles), or full century (100 miles). Rain or shine, this event goes. Expect to ride with at least a couple hundred companions. Being near the coast, the routes are generally flattish with some rolling hills. A good profile for early season touring.
3. North Shore Cyclists Weekly Rides. Something for everyone here. All rides ramp up during the course of May. See web site for exact dates. Plenty of weekday riding options in addition to weekend rides. I highly recommend the Wednesday night group out of Topsfield if you like paceline riding.
4. Wells Ave Racing. If you’ve got the racing bug, Wells Ave is the place to be. The Boston Road Club has already run the races for many Sundays and participation is sure to increase as the good weather settles in during May. There are races at all levels and an option to purchase a single day racing license. A fun, safe course with plenty of action to test the legs. Races are scheduled to run every Sunday in May (including Mother’s Day!) with the exception of May 31.
5. Sharon Road Bike Club. A great group in Southeastern Mass. with weekly rides. Check the site for details. They are up and running.. in fact, I’m not sure they ever stop…
6. The Nashoba Valley Pedalers have a jam-packed calendar for May. Tons of options. Weekly fitness rides, weekend tours, the whole nine yards. Check this out if you’re looking for rides in Central Mass.
For more ideas, take a look at the club listing page on this site and then browse around each of them for the best riding option with a club near you.